Search Engine Optimisation
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the process of structuring your site using words and phrases your potential customers are using to find you through whatever search engine they’re using.
Some estimates indicate that less than 5% of people look at sites on the second and subsequent pages of a search result so its critical to get this right in order to be found.
You’ll need this if:
- Well lets just say you really really need it if you want to be found. By anyone online
- Your website is on anything other than page 1 of a search result for your key search terms
- Or you have no idea what search terms you should be optimising your website for
You won’t need this if:
- You’re already on page one of the main search engines for all of your targeted keywords (and have no competitors doing SEO)
- You don’t want more website traffic leading to new customers
- Or you don’t have a website (really? Let us help you with that!)
Search Engine Optimisation can include a wide range of activities, generally classed as ‘on-page’ or ‘off-page.’ Identifying and incorporating the best keywords into your site is the starting point for on-page SEO, but it goes further to ensure that internal links, the words anchoring those links, image tags and alternative descriptions and other meta-data for your site are completed with the correct keywords. While many of these elements will never be viewable to your human site visitors, it is arguable that the search engines ‘spiders’ are first among equals in site visitor importance. How search engine ‘spiders’ (automated indexing software routines) read your site and serve it in their search engines determines whether real people can find you or not.
Off-page SEO is fundamentally about creating links back to your site with the right anchoring keywords in the links. Many factors influence the value of these links and how search engines rank them in their algorithms – such as topic relevance, site credibility and more – and these factors are constantly being adjusted in importance by the search engine operators. This is why it is important to have your Search Engine Optimisation performed by a professional: it’s a full time job keeping up with all the changes details required to ensure your site appears on page one in search engines for your chosen keywords.
Greenfields works with dedicated SEO professionals and uses the most advanced tools to ensure your SEO delivers results. Get in touch to find out how SEO can grow your business online.